Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Merry Run

On Christmas Eve, a bunch of my biker buddies and I rode around the streets of Tokyo dressed as Santas, reindeer, snowmen and such, distributing smiles, candy and Christmas spirit. This is a couple of the ladies who ride with us posing on my hog. Those interested in seeing more pictures should check out my Merry Run page. (I wrote all the captions in Japanese since the page is mostly for my Japanese friends.) I love Christmas in Japan. Everybody uses it as an excuse to be happy and have a good time, and it's completely untainted by the actual Christian nonsense that gets forced down your throat in the States. I can wave and smile and yell "Merry Christmas!" to people I don't know on the street, and they smile and say "Merry Christmas"(actually meri- kurisumasu, the closest you can get phonetically in Japanese) back, and there's no religious baggage attached--everyone knows it's just an excuse for a winter festival anyway. After reading about all the ridiculous claims by Christians in the States about being oppressed by "Happy Holidays" I am truly thankful that I am able to celebrate Christmas in a secular society. Christmas should be fun--a celebration of giving and joy for people of all creeds and people of no creed, with pretty lights to brighten a dark winter night--and that's what it is here in Japan. So a belated メリー・クリスマス to everyone, and best wishes for a happy new year.

3 Comments:

At 1/02/2005 01:04:00 PM,

Wow... that looks awesome! Any bike looks better with a couple of hotties on it. I've been in NY for the week, but if I'm around next Christmas I would love to join the ride.

In fairness to U.S. Christians, Christmas is actually a significant religious holiday for them, with a specific significance. I can see why they are pissed that it has become a generic festival of consumerism. It's kind of like when an underground band starts getting played all over the radio and then it's not cool anymore.

And, if Christmas is really a holiday for everyone, why are liberals so strict about saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas"? What are they afraid of?

I say let the Christians have Christmas, because it is, ultimately, their religious holiday. Fortunately, there is a holiday for the rest of us.

--GB

 
At 1/03/2005 10:08:00 PM,

You've bought into the Christian propaganda. There's nothing liberal about "season's greetings" or "happy holidays". The motivation for those has always been commercial: you don't want to offend any of your customers or you might lose their business.
As much as I think it's now a holiday for everyone, I understand that not everyone sees it that way, and as much as I believe that being offended by "Merry Christmas" shows a serious lack of perspective, if it's just as easy to include everyone why not do so?
That said, most of the liberals I know say "Merry Christmas" all the time--you shouldn't fall for stereotypes.

I understand your point about Christians being pissed off about people co-opting their holiday, but it should be noted that it's only their holiday because they co-opted the pagans' solstice festivals, and that historically there was no significant celebration of the birth of Jesus until Christianity moved North and needed something to supplant the yule celebrations. In fact, all the things I like about Christmas--the pretty lights, Christmas trees, presents, etc.--are all from the pagan festivals.

Festivus is cool too, but I'd rather ride around with hot women in skimpy santa outfits than wrestle with older men any day ;)

Let me know if you're gonna be around for Christmas next year and I'll give you the details for the run.

 
At 1/03/2005 10:46:00 PM,

Cool... I'll let you know if I'm in town next time. And, akemashite omedetou gozaimasu.

P.S. I'll be having more motorcycle posts over on my blog soon. The tsunami last week led to a lot of current events and political stuff, but I haven't forgotten my roots.

--GB

 

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home