Monday, September 27, 2004

What do you call a partner nowadays?

While writing the last post I found myself wanting to refer to my partner, "the Stinger", but stopped myself because it feels like the word "partner" has been corrupted to the point where most people reading would assume that I meant my "lover". I'm all in favor of the concept of marriage and other loving relationships evolving with the times, but since some people have appropriated this word for that purpose, I no longer have a way to refer to the guy who's the Billy the Kid to my Captain America, the Yoshitsune to my Benkei, the Chewbacca to my Han Solo. Has the word "partner" gone the way of "arousal", "explicit", and "intercourse"?

3 Comments:

At 12/03/2004 03:54:00 AM,

Yeah, that's what I thought. (The fact that his nickname is "Stinger" didn't help, either)

At least you're not British or Australian -- you'd be calling him your mate.

How about "buddy"?

 
At 12/03/2004 09:25:00 PM,

I've got lots of buddies, but only one partner.
I needed that word, damnit! ;)

 
At 2/14/2005 01:43:00 AM,

sidekick is a bit cliche, but all thats left that i can think of 

Posted by chaos

 

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home